Thursday, April 26, 2012

Transference


My only short story. I made the attempt!
Street lights reveal 
a quieter time of night
With few passers by,
clicking their heels on worn pavement 
The view from my window limits the site 
of life around the corner
Under the street lamp 
there stands a handsome young man 
Turning his head slowly side to side
he seems to be waiting on someone
These images have me waking more
and wondering about this stranger
Dressed to the 9's 
with jet black hair, standing straight and tall
He turns his head slowly 
with each clicking sound upon the pavement
I imagine, for a moment
that maybe it's me he's waiting for
As my senses stir from sleep
a faint sound of blues comes from around the corner 
A local club 
offering great background music for my visual wanderings 
And a cool breeze blows my long, wavy hair
just off my face for a better view 
Out of the corner of my eye 
I see something white and flowing 
This handsome stranger 
turns his head toward this bright  distraction. 
I'm also tempted to turn 
wondering about this glimpse of white.
But I am still, as he turns his head sharply 
toward the view in the corner of my eye.
I couldn't move 
as if a flash of bright light had just fallen upon me
It was the piercing glow of his eyes 
which captivated me in that moment 
It must have been the street lamp above 
illuminating his beautiful face 
His whole body seemed to glow 
as he smiled in a way I have never seen before 
Now the splash of white, 
from the corner of my eye, is in full view
The source of his brightly lit face 
was not the lamp after all 
But a beautiful and graceful woman 
in a white dress that flowed with the breeze
He touched her face softly 
her arms rose gently and then laid upon his shoulders.
They stood there gazing at each other 
for what seemed like days 
Leaning in for a kiss 
tears began to flow down my face
I see now that It wasn't me he was waiting for 
Or was it?
How deeply I feel their love, as if it were my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment