Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sestina

I didn't know what a sestina was until a friend challenged me to write one. This was my attempt. I doubt I will Ever try That again! Hard to walk away from a challenge. :)


In desperation of peace, I laid under the tree.
I once laid here and marveled at a beautiful rainbow.
It left me with such a feeling of solitude,
as if I were standing still in time.
I came here today wrapped in a gust of wind,
and feeling as if I were buried by a mountain.


I began reading, under the weight of the mountain
and leaning on my friend, the tall oak tree.
The beauty of the words and the soft gentle wind
brightened my world, as the rainbow
began creeping back in. Still in time,
I was carried away back into solitude.


Poetic wonders lifted my solitude
gently higher, as if climbing the mountain
which once held me captive in time.
I took a deep breathe and laid back into the tree.
I closed my eyes, imagining my rainbow
with colors blending to the movement of wind.


Now I am wondering about this gust of wind
that carried me in anger & now lifts me in solitude.
Where's the mountain now? At the foot of the rainbow?
This wind is now peace, but once angered the mountain,
trying to bury me right beneath my tree.
Can mountains move and pass with time?


Back to my reading of once upon a time,
& words that seem to flow like the wind.
I notice a verse about a similar tree,
as the one I lay under, in complete solitude,
rescuing me from the weight of the mountain.
Joy! This story must lead to the end of the rainbow.


How pleasing it would be to find rainbows
in these words, what a peaceful clashing of time.
But wait! The earth is shaking at the mountain,
as storms immerse with rattling wind.
O I pray, in these words, the mountain stands in solitude.
For if it’s disturbed, it may rattle my tree.


Oh thanks to the tree at the end of the rainbow!
Solitude blew through its branches on time
and the wind of eternal peace consumed the mountain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment